Beyond Washington and Jefferson: Ranking the Founders
Franklin, Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton—while such Founders remain as famous as ever, many other men (and women) who made prodigious contributions to the American Founding are all but forgotten.
America’s Forgotten Founders corrects this injustice. For the first time ever, top scholars have ranked the most neglected contributors to the American experiment. This unique book profiles the top ten “forgotten Founders,” presenting engaging short biographies, handy lists of their major accomplishments, and revealing quotations. Here you’ll learn about:
- The Scottish-born Revolutionary (#1) who played a crucial role in drafting the Constitution . . . before spending his final days hiding from creditors
- The peg-legged patriot (#3) who penned the words “We the People . . .”
- The astonishingly accomplished Founder (#4) who helped end the Revolutionary War, ratify the Constitution, and stabilize the early Republic
- The leader (#7) who stood on principle even when he knew it would deal the “finishing blow” to his once-great reputation
- The college president (#10) who helped shape not only the Declaration and Constitution but also dozens of future American leaders
The latest entry in ISI Books’ Lives of the Founders series, America’s Forgotten Founders will completely reshape your understanding of America’s founding generation.